Each year, there is an estimated eight million people seeking consultation with their physician in an attempt to alleviate headache pain. About 45 million Americans experience chronic headaches.
Fioricet is a combination medication for chronic tension headaches. A tension headache causes moderate pain in the front, sides, or back of the head. Tension headaches are common and most people experience them occasionally. However, when people suffer from more than ten or fifteen headaches every month, a health care provider may write a prescription for Fioricet.
Doctors sometimes also prescribe Fioricet for migraines, which are headaches that cause severe pain in one side of the head as well as hyper-sensitivity to light and sound.
The majority of these people turn to over-the-counter medication to relieve their headaches. For severe tension and migraine headaches, these medications often do not do the trick. Before giving up altogether on headache relief, you might try Fioricet medication first.
These three active ingredients are butalbital, acetaminophen, and caffeine. Butalbital is a barbiturate, which is know to create a feeling of relaxation within the body. Acetaminophen increases the body’s pain threshold. Everyone is familiar with caffeine and many of us take in caffeine daily through coffee, tea, or soda.
It works to reduce blood vessels back to their normal size. This greatly reduces the risk of nerve aggravation caused by swollen blood vessels. The benefits of these three drugs are augmented when combined with one another.
This is why Fioricet often works when other medications fail to ease headache pain. Most over-the-counter medications just aren’t strong enough to deal with severe tension and migraine headaches.
Fioricet medication is easy to purchase online or from a pharmacy. A prescription is necessary and can easily be obtained from your doctor or through a licensed online pharmacy. Such a pharmacy will need to have a doctor on board who will be able to provide a prescription.
A doctor will have the ability to answer any questions or concerns you may have about Fioricet. They will be able to determine whether or not Fioricet is a safe option for you, and will provide additional instructions on the administration of this medication.
Typically, one tablet of Fioricet is to be taken every four hours as needed. It is advised not to take more than six tablets in one day. The barbiturate in this medication has a tendency to cause drowsiness. It is important to avoid driving or using heavy machinery while taking Fioricet. This medication can provide excellent headache relief and is safe to take as long as directions are carefully followed.
Fioricet medication will help you to sit back and relax while your headache tension is released. It is likely to help you get on with your daily life.
What Are The Ingredients In Fioricet?
A combination medication is a drug which includes two or more pharmaceutical ingredients in a fixed dose. There are three ingredients in standard Fioricet: acetaminophen, butalbital, and caffeine. All three ingredients have different effects which combine to soothe headaches.
- Acetaminophen is a medication which alleviates pain and reduces fever. It’s more widely-known by its brand name, Tylenol. Acetaminophen works by impairing the production of the prostaglandin chemical in the brain. This chemical activates pain signals in the nervous system.
- Butalbital is a sedative barbiturate which stimulates the brain’s production of GABA. This neurotransmitter calms the nervous system by blocking signals among neurons. It also relaxes muscle tension in the head, thereby alleviating headaches. Butalbital is a Schedule III controlled substance in the United States.
- Caffeine is a stimulant which raises a person’s blood pressure. While high blood pressure is not necessarily healthy, low blood pressure worsens headaches by causing blood vessels to expand and push against the brain. By raising raising blood pressure, caffeine causes blood vessels to constrict and increases blood flow. This effect helps relieve headaches.
With these three ingredients at work, Fioricet can be an effective source of headache relief. However, the medication also poses risks for side-effects, overdose, and addiction. For this reason, doctors usually refrain from prescribing Fioricet until safer over-the-counter medications fail to help their patients.
What is the dosage for narcotic analgesic-apap-caffeine-butalbital-oral?
Adults and children of 12 years of age and older
- 50/325/40 mg tablets or capsules: Take 1 to 2 tablets by mouth every 4 hours. Maximum of 6 doses per day. Not to exceed 4000 mg of acetaminophen per day to avoid liver injury.
- Dolgic Plus (50/750/40 mg): Take 1 tablet by mouth every 4 hours. Maximum of 5 tablets per day.
- Alagesic LQ: Take 1 to 2 tablespoons (15-30 ml) by mouth every 4 hours. Maximum daily dose of 6 tablespoons (180 ml) per day.
- Safe and effective use of butalbital/acetaminophen/caffeine is not established in children under 12 years of age.